Re: XFS and journalling filesystems

Dave Cinege (dcinege@psychosis.com)
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 15:50:12 -0400

Alan Cox wrote:

> > This should save about 10K. Other stuff is on the side like the extended
> > attributes and they really don't impact the main code.
> >
> > Why do lines of code restrict what makes an fs ideal for an appliance or desktop?
>
> Lines of code directly influence size of code.
>
> If I have a kernel and compressed root file system on a 4Mb flash device
> I'm not going to be terribly keen to move to a larger part for features I
> don't need.

Also all that over head adds up.

Single user and minature systems usually gun for minimum latency
for quickness in 'feel'. A server is more concerned with high rates of
sustained transfer over a period of time; it doesn't care about the
a few seconds lost here or there in the grand scheme of access.

--
http://www.linuxrouter.org/     Linux Router Project

Considering the country's population, of 230 million people, the U.S. government agencies maintain an average of 15 files on every man, woman, and child in this country.