Re: SGI's XFS DONATED AS OPEN SOURCE!!!!!!!!!

Dan Koren (dkoren@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com)
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 13:50:48 -0700

Fredrik Lundholm wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > changes we might be making for XFS. Note however that XFS itself
> > is not part of the kernel but rather a loadable module. The terms
>
> Well, to be able to claim all that good-will that steams from words
> like donation and open-source,
> I really hope the module will be released in SOURCE form.
> A binary module doesn't strike me as particulary exiting nor flexible
> enough to gain required momentum..
>
> /Fredrik Lundholm
> exce7@ce.chalmers.se

As our press announcement said, XFS will be released in open source.
That does not contradict/preclude its being structured as a loadable
module. XFS is a pretty large file system (100k+ lines of code) and
it wouldn't be reasonable for something that large to be statically
linked with the kernel, as there are probably lots of applications
and configurations that don't need its capabilities.

I hope this clarifies things.

thx,

Dan Koren Dan.Koren@sgi.com
Engineering Manager, File Systems phone: (USA) 650-933-3678
Silicon Graphics, Inc. pager: (USA) 888-769-0874
1600 Amphiteatre Pkwy. M/S 08U-500 or dkoren_p@pager.sgi.com
Mountain View, CA 94043-1351 fax: (USA) 650-933-3542