Re: SGI's XFS DONATED AS OPEN SOURCE!!!!!!!!!

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:10:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Dan Koren wrote:

> As our press announcement said, XFS will be released in open source.
> That does not contradict/preclude its being structured as a loadable
> module. XFS is a pretty large file system (100k+ lines of code) and
> it wouldn't be reasonable for something that large to be statically
> linked with the kernel, as there are probably lots of applications
> and configurations that don't need its capabilities.
>
> I hope this clarifies things.

Actually it does quite the opposite - not on the political side, but on
the technical one. Statically linked != always compiled in. And the point
of making such beast a module is moot - XFS is not something likely to be
temporarily mounted. It's not a likely filesystem for ZIP or floppy...