Re: SGI's XFS DONATED AS OPEN SOURCE!!!!!!!!!

Jordan Mendelson (jordy@wserv.com)
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 17:38:45 -0400

Dan Koren wrote:

> As our press announcement said, XFS will be released in open source.
> That does not contradict/preclude its being structured as a loadable
> module. XFS is a pretty large file system (100k+ lines of code) and
> it wouldn't be reasonable for something that large to be statically
> linked with the kernel, as there are probably lots of applications
> and configurations that don't need its capabilities.

As long as you release it with a license compatible to GPL so it gets included
in the main kernel tree I'll be happy. Contact RMS if you have to and work out
GPL 3. Do whatever it takes, just hurry up already, my machines don't crash
much, but when they do, fsck takes forever. :)

All the arguing if XFS is suitable for this task and that task is a waste of
time.

Yes, XFS is bad for people with 1 meg of ram on embeded systems running 8088
processors with 5 meg flash disks, but seriously, who cares? If XFS is good for
your particular environment, use it. If it isn't, use ext2, or use coda, or use
whatever other filesystem you want. It doesn't matter how big the kernel source
gets, if XFS takes 100k lines to implement, it takes 100k lines to implement.

Is there a webpage where someone can get a general overview of XFS? I want to
know what features it supports, a little benchmarking information, what features
will be lacking from the linux port, etc.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com
Web Services, Inc.   : http://www.wserv.com