Re: XFS and journalling filesystems

Dan Koren (dkoren@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com)
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 19:19:26 -0700

"David S. Miller" wrote:

> Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 02:15:17 -0700
> From: Dan Koren <dkoren@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
>
> I'm afraid your concerns about kernel code size eating into buffer
> cache or user memory are slightly out of date. These days it seems
> damn near impossible to buy anything with less than 32 MB memory!
>
> There are third world countries where Linux is used heavily where a
> 486 with 16MB of ram is a "big computer". These concerns are by no
> means out of date at all.

We are well aware of that, and we will of course make every effort
possible (short of a complete redesign) to restructure the code to
have the smallest possible footprint, and to make it modular so that
it can be configured according to the needs of the application and
the available hardware configuration.

That being said it must also be noted that the main focus of the
original XFS design was systems with large amounts of main memory
and large numbers of disk spindles. This doesn't make it incapable
of running on smaller systems, but as with everything else there
will be a point of diminishing returns or some size where it just
won't fit.

thx,

Dan Koren Dan.Koren@sgi.com
Engineering Manager, File Systems phone: (USA) 650-933-3678
Silicon Graphics, Inc. pager: (USA) 888-769-0874
1600 Amphiteatre Pkwy. M/S 08U-500 or dkoren_p@pager.sgi.com
Mountain View, CA 94043-1351 fax: (USA) 650-933-3542