Re: 2.2.9 hangs in truncate_inode_pages

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:40:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

>It doesn't matter if we end up waiting for the wrong page by mistake: as
>long as we don't expect the same page to be there on wakeup, we should
>be fine. In truncate_inode_pages(), we do
>
> if (PageLocked(page)) {
> wait_on_page(page);
> goto repeat;
> }
>
>which looks safe enough from this respect.

It looks safe to me too because after sleeping we'll restart from
&inode->i_pages that will be in a safe state even if the page where we
slept over is just been freed by shrink_mmap() in the meantime. It can't
be freed while we are browsing the list since we grab the big kernel lock
there.

Andrea Arcangeli