Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel

David Howells (David.Howells@nexor.co.uk)
Thu, 03 Jun 1999 09:00:56 BST

David Hinds wrote:
> In some sense, PCMCIA and CardBus are second-class citizens because
> the Linux kernel is missing some key components that would make
> dynamic device management convenient and reliable. One of those is
> kernel support for Plug&Play BIOS calls, without which, resource
> allocation for hot-plug devices will always be a shot in the dark.
> ACPI will supercede this at some point, but my impression is that
> Linux ACPI support is still a long way from being comprehensive enough
> to handle this.

I'd like to put my configuration manager up for consideration for this roll.

The version I have at home now handles the concept of buses as well as devices,
drivers, and hardware configuration protocols. Dynamic resource management is
still there, and the file-system interface is being reworked.

David Howells