Re: zero-copy TCP fileserving

Thu, 3 Jun 1999 13:20:17 +0200

Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
> Hmm, caching checksums? I wonder how that would work. It would only work
> on data which is somewhat repeated. This would probably be a no win for
> encrypted data. Albeit, I haven't read the paper yet, so I dunno how it
> works.

File servers & static web servers tend to send the same data out again &
again, and the data is often in memory, so cacheing checksums per MSS
size regions of a page might speed things up.

Especially with zero-copy: if you don't need the checksum _or_ the copy,
things should really fly.

It's often said that locking down pages has its own overhead due to TLB
flushing complexity. However if you're clever about it, say from
mmapping a file, or doing the direct reads Stephen Tweedie is
contemplating, it's possible to do the zero-copy writes without ever
having the page in any TLBs in the first place.

-- Jamie