Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:25:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu wrote:

> So the bios does set up carbus ide right. And so we only care about the case
> where the bios knows enough to setup the carbus ide correctly?

That's certainly the main case, yes. If the BIOS doesn't know how to see
the CD, then we obviously can't boot from it anyway and the thing is
pretty moot.

Same goes for floppies etc.

Especially the CD boot didn't _use_ to be all that common, I'll certainly
agree with David there. But as far as I can tell, it's certainly required
functionality these days.

Linus