Re: [OT] Bootable CD [Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream

Gerd Knorr (kraxel@goldbach.in-berlin.de)
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 20:48:59 +0200

In lists.linux.kernel, you wrote:

> From the manual of mkisofs :
> On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 bero@mandrakesoft.com wrote:
>
> > How? Last time I tried, mkisofs refused to create a bootable CD from an
> > image bigger than a disk...
> From the manual of mkisofs :
> -b boot_image
> [...] The boot image must be exactly
> the size of either a 1.2, 1.44, or a 2.88 meg
> floppy, and mkisofs will use this size when creat­
> ing the output iso9660 filesystem. [...]
>
> I don't know if that's a limitation of mkisofs or of the El Torito/BIOS
> specification,

BIOS limit. The size must be *exactly* one of the three mentioned values.
With 2.88 meg you'll have plenty of space, thats enouth for a compressed
kernel and a compressed initrd with > 4MB space.

Gerd

--
system("logout");