Re: removing the global lock from sys_brk()

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 23:14:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:

> Linus, what do you think of the following trick:
>
> void fput(struct file *file)

All of the file handling needs to be validated wrt SMP threading, and I'm
not ready to do that yet. We have a bigger project underway to try to make
the page cache do proper writebacks, and that's taking priority.

Your approaches look reasonable. I don't think we need the compatibility
thing you have in fput() though - it should rather be just done right, and
I don't think lazy_fput should be needed.

Linus