Re: zero-copy TCP fileserving

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
4 Jun 1999 07:35:19 GMT

In article <19990603210156.U1415@mencheca.ch.genedata.com>,
Matthew Wilcox <Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 01:34:09PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>> I heard that at one time Sun didn't bother to checksum packets that
>> arrived via Ethernet. I don't know if it's true. Of course without
>
>SunOS 4.x had UDP packet checksums disabled at boot to improve NFS
>performance. Hey, who cares about DNS?

There were also known problems with certain Sun network cards that
didn't check the ethernet checksum all that closely or something like
that, because there were known NFS corruption issues due to that
optimization. As some people found out the hard way..

But as you say, who cares about file integrity anyway?

Linus