Re: [patch] Exported some extra symbols for modules

David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:18:48 -0700

Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 15:40:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu>

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> for modules. I need "do_generic_file_read" to build my own "sendfile from
> struct file to struct socket". The later two are for a module-version of

Put it into the main kernel and make sys_sendfile() use it - it's *MUCH*
better than expanding the export list and duplicating code.

No silly, he wants to provide his own read_actor_t, which is a very
powerful concept. And the reason Linus made the structure/types there
in the first place is that he did indeed think that allowing other
kernel entities to use the do_generic_file_read interface directly
might be quite useful. And it is.

Think about the things we can do with it for nfsd for example...

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com