Re: [patch] Exported some extra symbols for modules

Arjan van de Ven (arjan@fenrus.demon.nl)
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 22:20:49 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:

> Put it into the main kernel and make sys_sendfile() use it - it's *MUCH*
> better than expanding the export list and duplicating code.

Ehm. sys_sendfile is for fd->fd, mine is for file -> socket. I don't know
if I'm able to merge some of this... (And I don't think Linus would like
this)

> > "sendfile" holds the global kernel-lock. Is it possible to remove this
> > somehow?
>
> No. It uses a lot of code that is not SMP-safe. BTW, the same applies to
> your sendfile-from-struct-file thing.

My version also grabs the kernel-lock, because I didn't know if it was
allowed NOT to use it for this special case.

> Which is one of the reasons *not* to
> drag it out of the main kernel - it would make analysis of SMP issues in
> VFS and filesystems much harder.

I don't think Linus will accept a http-server in the main kernel. But who
knows... It is a nice tool to pinpoint bottlenecks in the kernel.

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven