Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel

Alan Olsen (alano@summanulla.pcx.ncd.com)
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 14:16:18 -0700

> Alan Cox wrote:
> > Finally people want to install Linux on *second hand* machines. Hell if we
> > wanted to support just new stuff we could drop PCMCIA (cardbus has replaced
> > it), drop modems (you've all got cablemodem right), and anything lower
> > than a PII processor
>
> Please do not let Linux fall into this trap; this is the Microsoft way
> of doing things. Instead of optimizing the operating system for minimal
> hardware, they simply demand better minimal hardware as part of the
> install requirements. For those who can afford and do have plenty of
> system resources, this is great, but we shouldn't exclude those who
> don't.

<aol>Me too!</aol>

I have some serious concerns because of this. I have installed Redhat 6.0 on my work machine and it is eating up huge amounts of memory with Gnome and E. It is seriously giving me second thoughts about installing it on my laptop which is limited to 40 megs of ram. (And I do not have another $1600+ to invest in another laptop.) I realize it is not a kernel problem (yet), but it could be.

Unfortunatly there is alot of legacy hardware out there. You may not use it, but lots of people still do.