Re: zero-copy TCP fileserving

Bjorn Wesen (bjorn@sparta.lu.se)
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 00:32:03 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Greg Ganger wrote:
> would not have chimed in. I like Linux's growth and potential,
> and I was told that influential people were arguing against copy
> avoidance on the grounds that it doesn't matter. The current

Fortunately, since Linux is OSS, if the "influential people" do stupid
decisions, it's possible for anyone to prove them wrong by implementing
whatever anyway.

When I originated this thread I just wanted to know where to find
information about this as an ongoing project and who to talk to, not start
a debate on whether it's a good or bad thing. I think everybody agrees
that it's a good thing _if the architecture sacrifice is not huge_. So the
future work will tell.

> > IO-lite type stuff is on the 2.3 plan - thats why Stephen is working on the
> > kiovec stuff.

I'd love hearing Stephen brief us about this or give a pointer to any