Re: Xerox and Lexmark printers (was Re: linux 2.x kernel lp.c and

Matthew G. Marsh (mgm@paktronix.com)
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 15:45:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > What I would guess is far more likely though is a bug in the printer
> > engine tripped by Linux generated postscript not NT generated
> > postscript. You may want to try grabbing Linux postscript as 'print to
> > file' then printing it from NT a bit
>
> The PostScript is generated on NT and printed from NT and Linux,
> apparently. Linux is the one that trips the printer over (*snicker*). ;-)
>
> I've sent an email to the guy at Xerox who's reproduced it, to try to get
> to the bottom of this.
>
> Does anyone on this list have a Xerox or Lexmark printer?

Yes - Two of them and there is a known issue with certain PS output. I did
not see the earlier messages about the problem but I will briefly relate
what I know:

Lexmark Optra R/R+ Original Firmware had a PS Level 2 bug that was
consistantly tripped by StarOffice and Netscape PS output from Linux but
not from Netscape PS on Windorks. I got an updated firmware and the
problem went away.

Lexmark SC1275N has the newer PS Level 2 code from Lexmark and works fine
- BTW that was how I "Proved" to Lexmark Tech Support that I had a problem
because the sam file printed on the 1275 but not on the Optra R.

> Tim.
> */

If I am not addressing the original issue - I apologize for wasting the
bandwidth.

Matthew G. Marsh, President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street