Re: Now who does cause this ???

Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 19:25:52 +0100 (GMT)

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> > Somebody (likely in Sweden) is resending all their incoming
> > email to some gateway address, but the writers of that gateway
> > are truly morons, and they send the error reports to WRONG
> > address.

> The problem is that the software doing the bouncing CORRECTLY replies
> to the FROM address on the email it's bouncing, as that's the only
> originating address it has available.

Wrong. It is (AFAIK) never correct for an MTA to use a From: address
for any purpose. That's why majordomo inserts a "Return-path:
owner-linux-kernel-outgoing@vger" to every mail, and any MTA ignoring that
is broken.

> My solution is to bounce the error message to the list owner of the
> mailing list I posted to that caused the bounce, and most list owners
> promptly delete the offender's subscription...

Matti /is/ the list owner and the point of his message was to point out
that some brain-dead person behind a brain-dead MTA has broken their
linux-kernel subscription.

Matthew.