Re: Filesystem corruptions with 2.3.4

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 10:58:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Alan told me to send 2.3 ext2 corruption reports to you.

Yup.

> I see filesystem corruptions with 2.3.4/i386/SMP/egcs 1.1.2-release compiled.

And you're reasonably convinced that this did not happen with 2.3.3 for
you? Or did you not run 2.3.3 enough to have an opinion one way or the
other..

I just want to make sure that I look at the rigth patches when tryign to
see what's up?

The other (obvious) thing I'd like to verify is whether the problem
happens with gcc-2.7.2 too.. This can't be the alias issue, but it could
be something else, and if it's a compiler difference then the _real_
problem may be somewhere else than in the 2.3.4 changes - 2.3.4 may just
have exposed a completely unrelated thing (whether compiler of kernel) for
instruction scheduling reasons or something..

> I use ext2 file systems with 4K blocks on IDE disks; using extended
> IDE with the ALI15x3 dma driver. Haven't seen any corruption on 1K ext2s yet
> (so perhaps the 4K block size makes the block more likely to happen?)

Or the 4kB size just makes the IO patterns different enough that a driver
problem occurs.. IDE changes did happen in 2.3.4..

Linus