Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
7 Jun 1999 12:27:03 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.199906050655.CAA18063@jupiter.cs.uml.edu>,
Albert D. Cahalan <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> wrote:

>Alan Cox writes:
>
>>> Hell, even I can make a bootable-cdrom that includes PCMCIA support
>>> (using David's excellent tools) on the initrd image.
>>
>> Except that you need two CD-ROM's then. The size of the 2.2 module
>> set + the full pcmcia scs+net set + the installer + initrd means
>> the resulting super initrd won't work on an 8Mb computer.
>
>I see an anachronism here.
>
>Most 8 MB systems will need a boot floppy, since they are too old
>to support CD-ROM boot.

I don't know if 8mb is as much trouble as 4mb machines. Mastodon,
which admittedly isn't the most feature-ridden distribution on the
planet, fits the whole kitchen sink installer [1] into approximately
7 mb of core (this is kernel + 2400k ramdisk + libc4 + pcmcia
modules + cardmgr + ksh) and a 1.44mb bootdisk; 4mb, on the other
hand, just barely fits the installer in before it runs out of memory
and performs the traditional Linux reenactment of a traveller
encountering a basilisk along the road.

>Since boot floppy creation is already for nerds only, one might
>bring back support for 4 MB machines. Slackware used to (still does?)
>let the user create and enable swap before starting the setup program.

Well, once you start up a shell and run a script to ask about firing
up swap, you've eaten as much core as you would have just dropping
directly into a moderately well-written installer program [2].

____
david parsons \bi/ though I don't think I'd want to install X11R6
\/ on a 4mb machine.

[1: Which, after a weekend of late-night hacking, installs, from CD,
without having to do any boot-time parameter tweaking, on a Sony
VAIO 505TS. I will now dance a little victory dance before...]
[2: ... I have to test and see if the system will still get the
installer loaded on my 4mb test systems.]