Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel

yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:19:52 -0600

On Mon, Jun 07, 1999 at 05:14:20PM +0200, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 11:59:05PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > I would really like
> > > to boot up monolitic kernel on my laptop and _still_ use pcmcia ne2k.
> >
> > Why?
>
> Faster. Smaller. Fewer TLB entries.
> Arguably by negligable amounts.

Arguably, slower and more tlb entries -- since things that may be module
specific have to be scattered around kernel code now and perhaps the
kernel will have to do more thinking that could have been done in user space.

This is one of those, I want a big chnage in the kernel for vague and
unsubstantiated hopes of improvement.