Re: Linux Buffer Cache Does Not Support Mirroring

Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Mon, 01 Nov 1999 15:48:45 -0700

Linus,

I can get done what I need for ship of the full NWFS (with mirroring) if
I can get an async interface to the disks that isn't tied into the
buffer cache from a memory consumption viewpoint. At present, the
interface still requires that I call getblk() for any buffer heads I
want to pass to the drivers. I need a way not to have to do this, so I
could simply pass my own buffer_head elements into ll_rw_block or
make_request(). I've found that when I do, all the drivers
malfunction. I want very much to work within a "Linux" framework, but I
realize that what's there just aint gonna' work without a sledge hammer
approach. Can you help?

Please advise,

Jeff