Re: another "2.3.23 doesn't boot" posting

Chris Noe (stiker@northlink.com)
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:42:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Bob_Tracy wrote:

> The binutils release I'm using on all my systems is supposedly the
> latest stable release. If a development release is required, I'd be
> interested in knowing what the preferred kernel building setup is
> these days. Maybe someone could update linux/Documentation/Changes
> accordingly?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --Bob Tracy
> rct@wlk.com

A patch to Documentation/Changes is in Linus' inbox recommending
2.9.5.0.16 (a stable version kept up by HJ Lu based on cygnus' CVS tree).
Again, though, I've tested binutils down to 2.9.1.0.7 and they all
correctly compile the kernel (albeit suboptimally at times). I'd look
elsewhere for the cause.

Chris Noe
(stiker@northlink.com)