Re: First draft list of 2.3.x "Things to fix"

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 17:28:51 EST

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Dominik Kubla wrote:

> Does not work here on a Dell R400VT with a TI PCI1225 controller. The
> controller is detected twice

Actually, the PCI1225 has two functions - there's one per slot. So you
just see the code noticing them both (ie it's doing the right thing so
far, but is just a bit too verbose about it ;)

> and network connectivty with the Xircom
> Combi-Card is not there. (As a matter of fact i can not log into the
> system when it is up, because the keyboard/mouse will not react. This
> is different fron pre5, but might be caused by the fact that i had
> USB configured...)

I actually have access to that particular controller, so I know the
controller itself works with the driver, but one likely problem is just
interrupt routing. Mind sending me the full kernel log of the thing?

> BTW: The cardbus changes(?) break the alpha, because pci_assign_resource()
> is non-existant there, removing the EXPORTed symbol for this function results
> in a working kernel so (on NONAME w/o PCMCIA support)...

We'll want to move these functions over to generic files anyway - that has
been discussed due to entirely different reasons wrt the alpha (ie Andrea
Arkangeli and Richard Henderson). So that wart should go away.

                Linus