Re: Can a process use up more than 910MB?

From: Lincoln Dale (ltd@interlink.com.au)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 20:56:29 EST

At 02:42 07/01/00 +0100, Peter Tufvesson wrote:
>Yes, so Linux can handle this if you have the source code. Now, this is
>not always the case. So if I have a pre-compiled program (commercial
>product, that is) that happens to use malloc() and not mmap(), I in fact
>have a system which only allows me 910MB per process.

not that i disagree with you ... but i'm sure that there is probably good
reason for the memory map being set up the way it currently is.

dare i suggest it, but how about talking to this commercial-vendor and
explaining to them that they need to use a different malloc.

alternately, glibc's malloc could be made more intelligent.

>I believe this can be improved radically. Let the heap grow upwards but
>the mmap are grow downwards! Voila, you can allocate up to 3GB of heap OR
>3GB of mmap! This is how Solaris handles the problem, by the way.

it is typically the case that programs that are designed to use large
amounts of RAM are already using mmap(), so the problem doesn't typically
exist . . .

cheers,

lincoln.