Re: Softnet/eepro100 driver conversion bug in 2.3.43pre8?

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 13:58:56 EST

kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > That _sounds_ reasonably, I agree, but eepro100 gets tx timeouts very
> > frequently if the access to "status" is not atomic.
>
> Could you try to answer another, simpler, question?
> Namely, why is the question raised now?
>
> Softnet did not introduce _anything_ new to this area.
> Even 2.3.15 did not this. If eepro100 fails now,
> it always (including 2.2) failed _exactly_ with the same frequency.

(off-list)

Some bug reports to linux-kernel, and my own experience testing 8139too,
seem to say otherwise...

I got _constant_ timeouts on UP until I updated the 8139too interrupt
handler from

        if (tx buffer not full) {
                tx_full=0;
                netif_wake_queue(dev);
        }

        if (tx buffer not full) {
                tx_full = 0;
        }
        if (tx_full)
                netif_wake_queue(dev);
        else
                netif_stop_queue(dev);

Regards,

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik         | "Vegetarian" is the Indian word
Building 1024       | for 'lousy hunter.'