Page cache problem? (was Re: Problem with kernels 2.3.43/4/5)

From: Manfred Spraul (manfreds@colorfullife.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 18:22:28 EST

Ok I could reproduce it as well:
1) create a large file, larger that ram size
2) please don't use "dd if=/dev/zero", the file should be random,
otherwise md5sum won't detect twisted sectors.

3)
$ (md5sum file&);(md5sum file&);(md5sum file&);(md5sum file&);
< wait until it created the sum>
< repeat>

I replaced the file with "/dev/hda3", and the hash numbers were always
identical.
It seems that the problem is SMP specific, at least I couldn't reproduce
it on my AMD K6.

Any known page cache corruptions in these kernel? (filesystem: ext2)

--
	Manfred

Rui Sousa wrote: > > Test 1: > Running four md5sum's on the same file (168 Mb) at the same time, they all give > the > same result. (same time means the time it takes to put the mouse over another > window and press enter ~< 0.5s) > > Wait a couple of seconds, and rerun the four md5sum's on the same file. They all > give > the same result but it's different from the one in the first run. > > Each time I do another run they all give the same result but it usually is > different > from the previous one. > > Test 2: > Running one md5sum on the same file up to nine times, one after the other, I > always > got the same result. > > Rui Sousa