Reasonable to add a warning for compilation with non-GCC?

From: Jeremy Weatherford (xidus@xidus.net)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 19:29:41 EST

Apologies if this subject has been brought up before.

It seems to me that it would be reasonable to have a warning printed via
#pragma if the compiler name/version the user is using is not one of the
known-good versions. This should under no circumstances be a fatal error,
since the user should be free to try it anyway, but I think the warning
should be highly visible, so someone receiving a fatal compiler error, for
instance, will already have been informed that their compiler probably
won't work, and that they should use GCC 2.7.2.x.

Just an uninformed opinion.

Jeremy Weatherford
xidus@xidus.net
http://xidus.net/