Where is memory handed out?

From: Rick van Rein (vanrein@cs.utwente.nl)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 05:06:54 EST

Hi!

I'm working on a memory subsystem patch to deal with faulty RAM, for
instance caused by static electricity or production failures. I have
everything in place and working except for one thing: Avoiding that the
faulty pages can get allocated.

There must be a place where physical memory, after chunks are taken off of
the beginning (for page maps etc), actually are handed out to the free_area
structures, through something like __free_pages. But that routine does not
seem to be called from such code, and neither are the remap routines (only
called from drivers).

Can anybody tell me where/how the "whole" of physical memory is handed over
to the free_area structures?

Thanx a lot,
-Rick.