RE: Where is memory handed out?

From: nathan.zook@amd.com
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 11:12:42 EST

You are discussing the end of memory detection/initialization, and there are
a couple of things I am still a bit fuzzy over, but here goes....

First, these matters are arch-specific. If you are x86, read on.

The files at issue are arch/i386/kernel/setup.c and arch/i386/mm/init.c.
Both free mempages, the first in the first 1G, the second in the rest of
memory. You should be able to directly modify the tests for activating a
page to exclude your problem areas.

Of course, this is a system-by-system hand-patched fix. We are working to
permit a user to specify sections of memory to exclude. (ie: smap=20M-24M:X)

Nathan Zook