Re: On the issue of low memory situations

From: Rask Ingemann Lambertsen (rask-linux@kampsax.k-net.dk)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 08:21:31 EST

Den 18-Mar-00 15:14:13 skrev Jesse Pollard fĝlgende om "Re: On the issue of low memory situations":

> The daemon could not have a fixed amount of memory. Each time it attempts to
> record more data, it will have to expand. New processes will have to have
> more entries for data...

   No. On Un*x systems there is a fixed limit to the number of processes.
On linux you run out at 512 or so if you don't modify the source. But
anyway, the daemon itself only needs to keep the configuration data around.
Once the daemon has started up, it will only need to allocate memory to
load new configuration data. If it mmap()s the config file, it doesn't even
need to do that.

Regards,

/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻTŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
| Rask Ingemann Lambertsen | E-mail: mailto:rask@kampsax.dtu.dk |
| Please do NOT Cc: to me or the | WWW: http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c948374/ |
| mailing list. I am on the list.| "ThrustMe" on XPilot, ARCnet and IRC |
| Without C people would code in Basi, Pasal and Obol. |