Re: cdrecord kernel problems

From: Wakko Warner (wakko@animx.eu.org)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 23:23:12 EST

Just adding my 2 bits here.

> > cdrecord and the toaster, i tend to treat a burn session as delicate,
> > fragile egg, and sit back or go get a drink. i would certainly not
> > switch VT's during the process, ever.
>
> Is this where I ask what's changed recently?
>
> Actually, there were a couple of points I was trying to make. This
> is something that just started happening. I've burned a couple of
> hundred CDs prior to this. I've always burned CDs in one window while
> reading email or something in another. I don't understand why the error
> reported would be:
>
> >Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x17 (logical block address out of range) [No
> >matching qualifier] Fru 0x0
>
> To my eye that looks like an addressing problem rather than a problem
> caused by a timeout. I would expect the previously reported "loss of
> streaming" error in the case of a timeout too long. Depending on what
> I'm doing elsewhere, the FIFO buffer goes up or down. I've had the
> buffer down to 18% and had successful burns.
>
> Is it the general consensus that I shouldn't be doing anything but
> burning CDs when burning CDs?

I was recording some cds for a friend. He brought his laptop over to copy
other things. 3 machines were involved. the laptop, a diskless machine
(used for just plugging in ide/scsi drives to read them), and the machine
with files and the recorder.

While recording a cd from an image that was over NFS (100mbit connection for
all 3 machines), I was transfering about 1.5gb from the machine with the
burner to the laptop. cdrecord's FIFO never went below 95%.

I have a recorder in my linux machine at work. I have compiled kernels
(using make -j 3 or 4) on that machine while recording a cd.

The only thing incommon between these 2 machines is the fact that I was in X
the whole time. I've never tried switching consoles.

When you said between tracks, were you recording an audio disk? Most of my
burns are data.