Re: English spelling? Yes! (was: Re: Shmem filesystem? DevFS?

From: Chris Buchanan (cbuchana@navtechinc.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 22:33:50 EST

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 11:08:13PM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> The "disc" spelling was used precisely because it isn't a word.
> By using a non-word you get better trademark protection.
>
> Now you know why marketing can't spell, and why "disc" is WRONG.
> Maybe the kernel is even violating a trademark... but then I'm
> not a lawyer and this isn't to be used as legal advice.

[As Chris gets drawn into a very stupid thread...]

Huh?!? Stolen from my Oxford:

disc (also disk esp. US) 1 a flat thin circular object ....

It goes on for quite a bit, but I have no desire to copy it all down.
Disc is a quite common spelling of the word in many parts of the world,
and in my little corner, both are used, and both are valid.

Now I'm going to pay some penance for adding to this thread, although I
take some sense of accomplishment in knowing that I have increased the
net sum of knowledge in the world, if only by the tiniest of amounts.

--
Chris Buchanan
Intermediate Developer, Flight Planning Systems