Re: FunKey: Discussion topic

From: David Elliott (dfe@infinite-internet.net)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 17:15:22 EST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> [ Aside: there is one key not supported. Labelled "Send to Back", it
> generates a non-standard multi-character scancode that I can only
> assume is an escape sequence used by Windows to send a window to the
> back. Totally, utterly gross. ]

It generates an Alt-Tab. When you press it it simply presses alt, presses
tab, releases alt, then releases tab. I don't remember if holding it down
did anything either. I think it generated all of it on the press and did
nothing for release. Many X window-managers support Alt-Tab just like
Windows. Some better than others. Ice-WM has excellent support doing
everything exactly like Win9x (which is the correct way). Enlightenment is
broken as hell with Alt-Tab.

Someone also mentioned a mouse key that seemed to just toggle numlock on
every other press. I assume that their keyboard simply did the same as above
but with Shift-Numlock (or is it Ctrl-Shift-Numlock) or whatever Windows uses
to enable the number bad to become a pseudo-mouse. In fact, I think X
supports this too with a certain config option, so the key would not be
totally useless.

So that is what those keys are doing, and while you can't remap them to do
what you want, you can certainly use them for what they were designed to do.

-Dave