Different Flavoured Kernels!

From: Nicholas Waltham (nwaltham@wwf.org.co)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 15:32:27 EST

I have red hat linux 6.1, which uses a modified version of the 2.2.12 kernel. They
call it kernel 2.2.12-20. I have a duald channel ISDN link, and a software raid array.
There is a slight problem in the 2.2.12 kernel hisax driver for my card, that causes the
ISDN link to block occasionally just as the second channel comes down. I understand that
this has been fixed in 2.2.14. I downloaded and compiled 2.2.14, and it booted up fine,
but didn't mount the raid disks. Looking at the code, the driver file md.c is completely
different in Red Hat's linux kernel. So here is the question. I want the ISDN to work
properly, and be able to use my Raid disks as they are. So - what do you suggest I do -
take the 2.2.14 kernel, but copy Red Hat's driver files md.c and raid0.c etc. to the 2.2.14
source tree, or should I keep Red Hats 2.2.12-12 sources, and copy in the files for
ISDN from the vanilla 2.2.14 source tree.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Nicholas Waltham