Re: n_tty_ioctl usage question

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 22:30:41 EST

> I'm playing around with the USB drivers. I have the drivers
> modified to the point such that each connected keyboard (I currently
> have four connected) point to a different tty/console.
>
> ie) I have four independent keyboards.
>
> I also have four independent mice, each tied to the same ttys.
> (The independence of the keyboards and mice is also supported in
> X).
>
> What I would like to accomplish (if possible) is tie the driver into
> switching between tty's such that everytime a keystroke is hit,
> control automatically switches to that tty!
>
> ie) if the fg_console is "2" and the keyboard for console "3" is
> hit, a switch to "3" should occur...
>
> But :(, to do this :(, I need to use the ioctl functions which
> require me to have a fd ... so maybe it's not possible and I'm
> just barking up the wrong tree ;) ...

I'm working on the same thing at the linuxconsole project. The way the
project is approach this problem is to create seperate VT pools for each
head. You shouldn't be able to VT switch to a seperate head. Consider
a office with a bunch of employee attached to one server. Now you don't
want a fellow worker to VT switch to your display and start seeing what
he/she is typing. He/she will do this since they will think something
is wrong with their display since they will see nothing. Also their are
several other problems like avoiding problems like creating complex VT
switching functions to handle VT switch from one type of hardware to
another. Their are alot of other things to have to be reworked as well
which I will not get into detail here.

Q: Why did they deprecate a.out support in linux?
A: Because a nasty coff is bad for your elf.

James Simmons [jsimmons@linux-fbdev.org] ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org =(_)=