Re: HELP!!!! BAD ENTRY IN /etc/ld.so.preload CAUSING ERROR IN LINUX BOOT UP

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 15:15:02 EST

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Sukumar Thirunarayanan wrote:

> I use a boot disk to boot linux, at boot prompt do I have to say "linux
> single" to boot in the single user mode?
>
> Does this mean it doesn't use the "init" program to boot in this mode?

First. How did you boot now so you can send email? Or is this another
system?

If you have broken another system, then you have to find some way
to delete or rename /etc/ld.so.preload. If you have two systems, it
may be easiest to do this.

Take your hard disk out of the broken system and install it as the second
hard disk in another system that boots. You don't need to install
it physically. Just connect up power and a cable, configure it as
the second "master" if it's an IDE, or make sure it has a higher ID
number than the root-disk if it's a SCSI.

Boot the system and then mount the second hard-disk's root file-system
off from '/mnt'.

# mount /dev/sdb1 (whatever)
        /dev/hdb1 (whatever) /mnt

Then remove/mnt/etc/ld.so.preload.

Then dismount /mnt, shutdown, and put the disk back in the broken system.

If you are already running your broken system from an alternate root, just
mount the original root off from a mount-point and delete the offending
file.

> Another thing I noticed was after I created this file /etc/ld.so.preload all
> the programs/command like vi rm cp etc was failing with the same error
> message what I got from "init" program, at that point I did a shutdown and
> restarted it and it never came back up because the "init" program was
> failing.

Yes. When you mess with shared libraries, you can be left with a mess.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).