Re: 2.2.16pre5, ST36451A and "hdc: drive not ready for command"

From: Ville Herva (vherva@niksula.hut.fi)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 11:46:00 EST

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 10:09:25AM -0600, you [Christopher Thompson] claimed:
> On Fri, 09 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> > I noticed these in the log just before the point my machine locked hard up
> > hard. (It's a BP6 so the hangs are expected).
>
> Actually, my BP6 never hangs. I have the QQ bios, I think. You
> might want to upgrade to at least that before investigating
> further. Also, make sure you aren't overclocking your
> mothertboard... if you are, stop and see if the problems go away.

I've tried every BIOS there is (RU release is the newest -- I'm using it
right now.) Also, I don't have the fluctuating voltage problem. This
lockup is different from the typical BP6 lockups, since there is a clear
entry in the logs and a good suspect for the culprit (using hdc).

BP6 hangs are a legend. Too many variables to draw any conclusions: faulty
bioses, bad voltage regulator on a batch of bp6's, insufficient power
supply, tendency of people to overclock their Celerons, overheating, SMP
problems of drivers, bad memory, anything can cause lockups. But clearly
it is _possible_ to have a stable bp6 setup.

> It turned out to be bad memory. Only the top half of my memory
> was bad, though. I used the memtest86 program (_excellent_) to

I just run through my memory with memtest86 (I second that, _excellent
program). No problem there. Also, cpuburn (burnP6 and burnBX) shows no
problems. I can do "cat /dev/hde > /dev/null& ping -f otherhost& burnBX&
burnBX& opengl-prog&" with no problem (I have a geforce.)

I've had many problem's with board (some beacause of my own stupidity),
but I think the system is quite stable now. This seems to be the
(hopefully) only remaining problem.

> Jun 8 22:49:47 babbage kernel: hdc: timeout waiting for DMA
> Jun 8 22:49:47 babbage kernel: ide_dmaproc: chipset supported
> ide_dma_timeout func only: 12
> Jun 8 22:49:47 babbage kernel: hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> Jun 8 22:49:48 babbage kernel: ide1: reset: success

(taken from logs just before lockup)

Anybody seen this kind of stuff? I gather is quite normal to get IDE
resets when for example setting on DMA on drive that does not like it. But
now I get these errors even in PIO mode (defaults), and more over they
result in lockups. Should I try without the IDE patch? Should I try to put
the drive in another bus? Suspect the CDRW (slave in the same bus)? Is
Seagate the culprit? PIIX shouldn't be...

-- v --

v@iki.fi