Re: [patch] improve streaming I/O [bug in shrink_mmap()]

From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 23:29:58 EST

>> If Rik or Juan can assure me that streaming I/O performance is a
>> high priority for them, I might feel better, but I see more
>> concern about boundary cases caused by quite different
>> application patterns.
>
>Before I start hacking on this, could you tell me if 2.4.0-ac17+
>gives you the performance you want?
>
>(or at least, if it reaches 80% of 2.3.51 performance, the rest
>seems related to the new elevator code and not to MM)

I'm about try booting ac17/18 in the next day or two. I'm a little
disturbed by some of the bug reports (the aic7xxx breakage in the
early ac series would have been fatal for me), but I'll give it a
shot.

Note that I always run with the elevator tuned to 10000/10000/128. Its
the only way to get even a baseline level of performance on pre-8.

Just as a footnote: I would really welcome a way to tell the kernel
"don't try to do anything smart with the elevator, the VM system or
anything else because I know what I'm doing". In my case, this is
really true: I have data carefully (well, as best as I can do with
ext2) laid out on a disk to match my access patterns, I am the only
process of any importance, i called mlockall(MCL_CURRENT|MCL_FUTURE),
I am running SCHED_FIFO and I basically want the operating system to
get the hell out of my way! OTOH, being able to read email while
recording 26 channels of 24 bit audio is quite a nice demo for
potential users :)

--p