Re: IDE hotplug

From: Shigeo Tanai (xc6s-tni@asahi-net.or.jp)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 04:29:38 EST

Ian Soboroff <ian@cs.umbc.edu> wrote:

>Is there any way to rescan the IDE bus for a device like this after
>boot-time? I know with the PCMCIA drivers, I can connect a PCCard IDE
>hard disk and get a new IDE bus, but I'm not sure if there's an
>equivalent case here. Is this possible right now with Linux?

Yes, by building your kernel with IDE as module.
Do 'modprobe ide-probe' (2.2.x) or 'ide-probe-mod' (2.4.x),
and it will rescan the IDE bus. You'll need to make initrd
in order to boot without IDE having built into your new kernel
(similar to booting from SCSI disk).

I'm writing a mini-HOWTO, based on my experience with
IBM ThinkPad 570 with UltraBase. If you're interested,
I'll send you a copy.

Geo