Re: F*ck*ng japanese garbage postings and possible HACK.

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 18:51:23 EST

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

>Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:04:34 +0000 (GMT)
>From: Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com>
>To: Mike A. Harris <mharris@meteng.on.ca>
>Subject: Re: F*ck*ng japanese garbage postings and possible HACK.
>
>On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>> This is not the first time Japanese Kanji (or whatever the hell
>> it is) have made it to the mailing list. I would have partially
>> quoted the message I am refering to, however when I TRIED to
>> quote it, PINE segfaulted saying "impossible or illegal character
>> in From line".
>
>Works fine in my PINE.

Did you view the message, and then choose "reply", with quoting
turned on? I'm using PINE 4.21. What version of PINE are you
using.

>PINE sucks anyway so don't complain about the inadequacies of
>your software :).

Well obviously PINE should not have crashed regardless of the
input it was given - no program should, however since such
postings are rare, I'd consider it a minor PINE bug, although it
may also be a potential security hole.

As for PINE "sucking" as you say... that is nothing more than
opinion. You use your software, I'll use mine. I'm not
interested in an MUA war as I don't really give a shit what
mailer someone else uses.

>> Since there is no way for vger to filter this japanese SPAM, does
>> anyone have a procmail rule which could do it? Or would
>> filtering out all postings from .jp do it? Are there any
>> japanese folk on the list with .jp addresses that make active
>> contributions? Just wondering because I want to permanently
>> filter this garbage which appears about once a week, but I don't
>> want to filter out legitimate postings from decent japanese folk.
>
>Why not just get the list admin to require posters to be subscribed?? lkml
>is one of the most backwards mailing lists I've ever been on, and AFAIK
>anyone can spam it without being subscribed (in which case they could
>easily be unsubscribed and therefore blocked).

Well that solution has been posted in the past a million
times. It simply will not happen due to the nature of the list
charter. The list is ran openly so that non-subscribers can
EASILY post bug reports. If someone has no choice but to
subscribe in order to post a bug report, they are more likely to
say fuck it, than to post a report. If they know they'll be
getting anywhere from 50->200 or more messages a day, they'll be
even less likely.

So, the solution often told is "filter it yourself", which is
what I want to try and do. Just trying to have my mail the way I
like it, without having to install a new OS, new mailer, and
redefine my entire world of computing - thats all.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.