Re: scsi-destroyer.c to come...

From: Aaron Sethman (androsyn@ratbox.org)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 19:21:46 EST

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, David Luyer wrote:
> So what?
>
> It is _much_ easier to do "cat </dev/zero >/dev/sda"
> and about as likely to be effective.
>
> David.
But how often is a program with a bug in it likely to execute this
command? Lets say some program has a buffer overflow somewhere and it
ends up clobbering the section of memory that holds the bits for the
ioctl. Suddenly your data is gone and your left clueless. My question is
what functionality are you going to lose by have some sanity checking in
the kernel? Yes I know you can fiddle with /dev/mem etc..but this is know
where near as likely to be triggered by a buggy program now is it?

Aaron