Re: What's wrong with IDE patch and what proper solution should be...

From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 10:08:55 EST

"Khimenko Victor" <khim@sch57.msk.ru> writes:

>I'm not so sure. What about CD-R, scanners, video and so on ? Do we REALLY
>need drivers for all this stuff in kernel ? Perhaps. But IF it's true then
>proper way to fix problem is to REMOVE "raw IDE I/O" and "raw SCSI I/O"
>interfaces from kernel and replace it with drivers for ALL possible IDE
>and SCSI device. EVEN if it's "way to go(tm)" (I'm not so sure it is) we
>can not do it for 2.4 anyway.

Yikes! This way lies madness (at least for SCSI). Removing the
equivalent of the sg interfaces would reduce Linux to a platform much
like Windows where every single new SCSI device probably needs to
provide its own kernel modifications/modules/driver to allow
device-specific apps to talk to it.

Right now, you can write (for example) an Iomega Jaz utility without
any kernel futzing at all. Contrast this with Windows where it seems
necessary to always install a new driver.

Don't go there.

--p