Re: Direct access to hardware

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 15:31:42 EST

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> >> let me get this straight. are you saying that the "jaz" utility which
> >> lets me password-protect write access to my jaz disks should not exist
> >> under Linux ? this utility requires the ability to send that are
> >> vendor-and-device-specific SCSI commands to the drive.
> >
> >That doesn't sound like a good implementation, but I doubt these commands
> >would be in the same category of command as the flash update ones. I'm
> >interested in the dangerous category, not the merely undocumented bits.
>
> so, what do you think would be a good implementation and how do you
> propose to distinguish this "category" of command from one to update
> the drive ROM ?

A properly designed protocol would have had support for this sort of
extension to existing facilities, without inventing whole new dialects.
In this case, probably the lock & unlock commands for removable media -
just add a "password" field - **and include this in the standard so no
other vendor uses the same field for something else, or vice versa**.

If I wanted to add a new listing mode to `ls' for some reason, should I
add a new switch to ls's vocabulary, or invent `newls'?

Alternatively, if I really needed a new command for my new feature - drill
holes in disk, say - I get it included in the next revision of the
standard. That way, all you ever need is the latest ATA-* driver.

In short, don't embrace and extend the standard with proprietary things.
If you need a new feature in the standard, put it in the fscking standard
- don't write your own!

James.