[patch] vt82cxxx.c v1.9 - Re: UDMA trouble in VT82C586 IDE

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 03:59:20 EST

On Sat, Aug 26, 2000 at 11:19:43PM -0700, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> All Vojtech has to do is accept responsiblity for the chipset code.

Now, after the last MWDMA timing issue was resolved, I can do that. Yes,
while I can't say my code is 100% perfect, because I'd have to verify
that with an IDE analyzer which unfortunately I don't have access to,
after some time of extensive testing there are no more failure cases on
all the machines it was tested on. (One case is still unclear, but that
user is now using 2.2 and couldn't do more testing.)

If yoy need it said explicitely - yes, now I can stand behind that code
and I do accept the responsibility for it if it breaks anywhere. (Of
course the legal no-warranty statement still applies).

> I mean all flavors of the bastardization of the design.
> This includes the ones that you can change the chipset reporting type if
> you know the dirty-secrets. The problem is that some mainboard
> manufacturers alter the PCI ID codes to fake compatablity.

This should not a problem, anymore and at least for the MVP3 northbridge
this was solved by a routine in the PCI quirk code that switches off the
false ID reporting feature in it.

If you know of any other VIA chip besides MVP3, please tell me, and
we'll add it to the list.

Anyway, the new VIA code (unlike the old one) doesn't need to know the
northbridge type, caring only about the southbridges, thus even this ugly
trick shouldn't cause any trouble to it.

> Now if your board is one of these boards, then I would expect it to not
> work.
>
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, Cesar Eduardo Barros wrote:
>

> > It works great now. I got a month-old full rewrite of via82cxxx.c from
> > Vojtech Pavlik in the lkml archives and compiled it.
> >
> > Linus: I think it should be included. The old driver is messy, hairy, and fails
> > to work here. The new one is clean, neat, and works fine. If you lost the
>
> Just because you have a newer wierder combination does not mean the old
> and lousy is junk.

Honestly, do you believe the original via82cxxx.c was a nice and clean
approach to the problem?

I can't say my rewrite is very nice yet, either, because the IDE API
limits the cleanliness of design of it a lot.

> Again, if Vojtech will put it on the line that compatablity/support is
> better go for it.

It is.

> In the past Vojtech was not ready to jump on this and
> run. I have one, and only one, completely corrupted drive, beyond
> recovery by any means, because of one incomplete thought in the design.
>
> I will not accept this happenning again.

Here goes a patch for 2.4.0-test7. [ 883 lines removed, 387 added ]

Andre: Please approve it, you're the IDE maintainer.

Linus: Please apply it if Andre approves it.

Thanks.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs