Re: [ANNOUNCE] Darkstar Development Project

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 17:34:42 EST

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 12:24:26AM +0200, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Larry McVoy wrote:
> > We have a hack in BK for this, at least I think we do, where we can look at
> > the time stamps to notice that you haven't modified the files. We don't
> > use it because of NFS screwing up timestamps. I suppose we could enable
> > it on a per repository basis so that if you knew you were running NTP or
> > some other thing to keep your time stamps right, then we could diff as
> > fast as we can stat.
>
> I'd love to see a filesystem feature where I could efficiently identify
> "changed files", where "changed" is defined by last time this application
> checked or something similar. A bonus would be to propagate this up
> directory trees. Yes I know about hard links, and it's not necessary to
> propagate up trees in those cases. (The application can just remember
> paths of directories containing hard links, and not depend on the
> per-directory bits for those paths).

We thought about this too (filesystems are where I got into kernel hacking),
but dismissed it as a Linux only solution. As much as I'd like it to be
otherwise, BK is not a Linux only product. Whatever we do needs to work on
NT (shudder) as well as all the dinosaur Unixen.

We do have more to work with because we have both the revision history and
the checked out file in each work area. So we can play games with those
to try and simulate the "what's changed since" operator. It's NFS which
screws that up.

--
---
Larry McVoy            	   lm@bitmover.com           http://www.bitmover.com/lm