Re: Update Linux 2.4 Status/TODO list

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 01:55:55 EST

tytso@mit.edu wrote:

> 8. Fix Exists But Isnt Merged

Please add 'Quota support causes OOPS' Someone posted a patch but I don't
have the reference offhand. That patch appears to have fixed one person's
problems.

> 9. To Do
> * PIIXn tuning can hang laptop (2.4.0-test8-pre6, David Ford)

Actually this bug applies to all kernels as far back as early 2.3 afair.

> * Oops in dquot_transfer (David Ford, Martin Diehl) (Jan Kara has a
> potential patch)

I believe this would be the referenced patch.

Please add 'APM resume returns the machine to the first tty, crashes X' This
appeared w/ test8. If this is intended, I'd be very happy to know if so and
I can write in to xfree86 about it. If not intended..fix needed.

> 10. To Do But Non Showstopper
> * PCMCIA/Cardbus hangs (Basically unusable - Hinds pcmcia code is
> reliable)
> + PCMCIA crashes on unloading pci_socket

With test8, pcmcia either with kernel code, mixed, or dhinds code; nothing is
usable.

> * RTL 8139 cards sometimes stop responding. Both drivers don't
> handle this quite good enough yet. (reported by Rogier Wolff)

This one can tentatively be moved into 'fixed' I was one of the people
submitting this a long time ago and since that point in time numerous updates
have occured and I'm now able to transfer multi-gigs of data day after day
and no problems.

> * USB pegasus driver doesn't work since 2.4.0test5 (David Ford)

Fixed. Only thing now is cosmetic. It spews between a few and a few hundred
lines to klog on disconnect.

> * Possible ppp problem (fail to connect; may be user error; reported
> by Matt Spong; claims worked on 2.3.40)

I use ppp frequently w/ current kernels, works fine.

> * cdrecord doesn't work (produces CD-ROM coasters) w/o any errors
> reported, works under 2.2 (Damon LoCascio)

Hmm, upgrade cdrecord perhaps? I'm using the second to last release and I'm
not burning coasters. cdrecord is undergoing a scsi subsystem rewrite.

> Fixed
> * Keyboard/mouse problems (should be fixed?)

Related to pcmcia, no, not fixed. Certain mixes of drivers and hardware can
stick the interrupt until they're removed and a different card inserted.

> * USB Pegasus driver explodes on disconnect (lots of printk and/or
> OOPS spewage to the console. David Ford) (reported fixed by Petko
> Manolov)

OOPS fixed, spewage not fixed.

-d

--
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was