Streams (again)

From: Cesar Eduardo Barros (cesarb@nitnet.com.br)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 20:11:08 EST

This is a proposal for a simple way of adding streams support to the Linux
kernel, without significant changes in current Unix-like semantics.

It was inspired by a recent discussion in the #kernelnewbies IRC channel, and
by the recent talk about the subject in the Linux Kernel mailing lists. I did a
first fast design, and took an hour polishing it, simplifying it, and making
sure I covered most of the important cases.

This should be read as a RFC (of which I've been reading maybe too much
lately).

I've included both the polished draft and the informal first draft, since the
informal draft is a bit more explicit in some issues. I changed some things in
the second version (found out I needed one less syscall), so treat the first
version as a informative historical document.

I plan on trying to learn the VFS code to try to implement the proposal if it
is considered good enough to be worth an implementation. Note that I currently
know nothing of the VFS code, so if nobody else wants to implement it it'll
take some months until I'm good enough at it.

--
Cesar Eduardo Barros
cesarb@nitnet.com.br