82559 driver bug

From: Greg Zhang (greg@fibercycle.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 01:42:11 EST

Hello,

I need to update the MAC address on a Intel 82559 ethernet card.
Tried:

# ifconfig eth0 down
# ifconfig eth0 hw ether0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
# ifconfig eth0 up

It seems to take effect. Ping works. I have not had time to verify
whether the MAC address is changed on the wire.

When the machine was rebooted, the new MAC address was lost.
This seems to be a bug in the 82559 driver. 82559 spec specifies
how to manipulate its control and status register to write to the
EEPROM that stores the MAC address. Before I write a program
to do this, can someone confirm that this is a bug and it currently
has no fix?

Thank you,

- Greg