Re: What is up with Redhat 7.0?

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer (bero@redhat.de)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 14:28:18 EST

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> OTOH, drepper@redhat.com might get pressed into not doing incompatible
> changes,

We're doing no such thing.
If we did this sort of thing, he would have been pressed into releasing
glibc 2.2 in time.
drepper-and-others@redhat.com did have some influence on choosing the
glibc for 7.0 though, so we're confident no major changes will be
necessary.

> This might not
> mean anything, however, since redhat was most probably ignoring their
> own people (e.g. from cygnus) who I really believe didn't support their
> decision.

The opposite is the case. They didn't want to have to support a dead
branch (2.1/2.95).

> Redhat might just hack their libc to be redhat-7.0 compatible
> later...

That's what we'll do if any incompatible changes will be necessary -
fortunately glibc supports versioning.

LLaP
bero